About Jamie Piper
Jamie Piper is a longtime commercial animal photographer who shoots for established national and global pet brands and international ad agencies.
She specializes in high production value shoots producing premium images for advertising and packaging use.
Top ten things
(see the long version below)
- Jamie’s first commercial photo shoot was for a dog massage therapist in 2003. Coincidentally, the shoot was for the owner of the dog she originally named her creative and design agency after.
- 99% of Jamie’s clients come to her asking for the same thing: engaging, joyful, authentic photos of people and pets.
- She lives in the city of San Diego and shoots regularly in San Diego county, Orange County and Los Angeles.
- She prefers to work with pro animal and human talent agencies, but also has a 350+ So Cal dog model database, plus access to great ‘real people’ talent in So Cal.
- Jamie has a full team she works with: assistants, producer, digitech, stylists, trainers, etc. She is a true partner on her projects, and works tirelessly toward common goals.
- She loves road tripping (ask her about her 9-month road trip with Fergie!).
- A marketing hobbyist, Jamie can talk to you about conversion rates, customer avatars, LTV, CAC and other marketing terms.
- Her favorite thing in life is dogs.
- She also loves craft beer, kombucha and zombie movies, is a night-owl and has a great sense of humor.
- She wants you to look through her outttakes gallery, which she feels is the most important gallery on the website.
- Kriser’s Natural Pet
- Mars Petcare
- Pet Naturals
- The Honest Kitchen
- The Bark
- Fresh Pet
- ABC Studios
- Workman Publishing
- Brilliance Publishing
- Kensington Publishing
‘MADLY in love with the shots. Brilliant job on this shoot…you guys have really managed to capture the authentic and candid dog moments that we’ve been talking about.’ -Dave Griffin – Marketing Director at Mars Petcare
‘These (photos) are a HUGE upgrade from what we’ve had in the past.’ – Eric Yager- Brand Manager at Bailey Brand.
‘…we could not have done this without your patience and professional candor/experience! We knew we had the right partner early on and are so grateful for your whole team.’ -Audra Nebolini -Associate Creative Director at CBX
‘It was an absolute pleasure working with you guys. You gave us 200% … and I so appreciate that. Thank you for being so organized and thoughtful and focused.’ -Leigh Rodwick – Marketing Director at Kriser’s Natural Pet.
‘Your work is quite honestly phenomenal Jamie! I’ve been doing this for 2 decades now and I am so happy [my client] backed my decision to hire you.’ -Sarah Cronin – Art Director at Bluehaus
‘Client is LOVING the photography, along with all of the art directors working on the account!’ -Karly Erickson- VP of Creative Services at Rinck
‘You really did an amazing job capturing all of the distinct personalities of the pups!’ -Kate Fenner- Digital Marketing Manager at The Honest Kitchen.
A delightful surprise came in the mail one year. Jamie’s photo they chose for the program is called ‘Curious Cooper’.
Recognitions / Awards / Features / Interviews
- IPA pets category honorable mention- Fergie Dreams personal project
- APA Off the Clock- ‘Curious Cooper’
- Modern Dog Magazine feature- Graffiti Dogs Project
- Cesar’s Way Magazine feature
- Professional Photographer Magazine feature- pets issue
- Dog Fancy Magazine feature
- Simply Color Lab feature
- Dog Art Today feature
- Phetched feature- Graffiti Dogs Project
- Petfinder feature
- Hair of the Dog podcast interview
- Gina Mcillan podcast interview
- The Pet Photographer’s Club interview
Early Work + Backstory
One of Jamie’s early film photos. Sophia & Chris, circa 1989.
Jamie’s friends Lucy and Willa. The first pet photos she ever created in 1999. She still misses the girls.
Knuckles and Jude. Dearly beloved friends.
Jamie is one of the most experienced commercial animal photographers in the industry.
She learned film photography as a teenager and practiced on her punk rock friends (photo above), started photographing pets in 1999, turned her hobby into a pet photography business in 2003, did her first commercial photo shoot in 2003, did her first agency shoot in 2008, wrote a mass-produced reference book on pet photography in 2012, taught photography workshops around the U.S. from 2008-2012, shot for clients around the U.S from 2013-present, and has an archive filled with photos of many thousands of animals.
Jamie now owns:
- A boutique creative and design agency serving small and start-up pet brands (she has team members who provide those services)
- A stock animal photography website
- An educational platform teaching aspiring commercial photographers
But did she ever intend to create a photography career?
What she really wanted to be, and worked hard to become- was an applied animal behaviorist.
She received her BA in Psychology from the University of Washington in 2002 where she studied a variety of animal psychology courses, and had every intention of starting a dog training business and continue on to do graduate studies.
But the economy tanked after 9/11, she was flat broke, and just needed to make some extra cash to pay the bills until she could figure out her next steps.
So she picked up her old Pentax film camera, and, alongside her P/T dog walking work, began photographing pets for every dog and/or cat owner she knew in her hometown of Seattle.
The rest, as they say- is history.
Jamie’s career has had many twists and transformations over the years, and she is thrilled to find herself where she is now- photographing ‘cute young things’ that bring her heart joy.
Adding more of the human element to her work with kids, babies, families and adults has renewed her passion and love for her craft.
She is excited to see what fun adventure her work takes her on next.
Will the next adventure be with you?